[CT Birds] Ct endangered species lawsand Cabela's

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 1 07:52:59 EDT 2009

6/1-

I agree with Nick.  The majority of birders I run into are very conscience of the environment they are birding.  One of the big reasons that draws my to birds is my passion for nature, biology and evolution.  In fact, it seems birders should be the last thing any delicate habitat should be worried about.  Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, like anything in life.

And I can't agree more that humans do, and should stop thinking the earth is theirs (ours) and that humans are some kind of evolutionary masterpiece somehow above everything else.  Which as a direct result, seems to force the DEP to run on fumes as there are 'more important' issues abound.  Just an example from a single town....  here in Stratford they have a Stratford policeman at both middle schools.  All day, all year.  I somewhat understand high school, but couldn't their taxpaid salaries get put to much better use?  Maybe cleaning out that liquid garbage dump we like to call Wooster Pond?  I'm sure every town has a similar situation, with seemingly easy solutions.  Perhaps mass public outcry is the way to go.

I have yet to drive up to Cabella's (I didn't know that was the first one in New England), but I plan to soon.  Hopefully things are still going strong when I do.  Upland Sandpiper and Grasshopper Sparrow would be lifers.

-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com