[CT Birds] Fields?

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Mon Jun 1 12:51:32 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

Why are people so concerned about grassland birds in Connecticut?

Connecticut is part of the eastern deciduous forest where grasslands
are an anomaly. Under "natural" conditions they are the result of
fire (natural and man made) and flooding (including beaver meadows).
When they are created they are subject to succession and have a short
life time.

The only reason fields are in Connecticut now, is as an artifact of
past farming. Every species found in our “Grasslands” is far more
common elsewhere. It seems to me that we are artificially
constructing and maintaining these “Grasslands” to keep token
populations for the benefit of bird-watchers.

A more relevant problem for me is the fragmentation of our woodlands
which has been well studied. I have never been to this Cabela Field,
but I would guess that it might be better used as a bottom land
forest, restoring habitat that is likely rare.

Dennis Varza