[CT Birds] Fields?

Scott Baron brnpelican at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 1 21:29:45 EDT 2009

The statement that the East always had some areas of grassland before European settlement is correct.  But that is the reason that this habitat needs to be preserved.  Since so much of the East is "developed" and wildfires aren't allowed to burn, we need to manage the grassland that is left.

Furthermore, I disagree that most birders want to keep the habitat just so they can see the birds.

Temperate grassland is the least protected habitat type in the world.

Scott Baron
Fairfax, Va.