[CT Birds] Stratford yard, CACC (yesterday)

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 3 08:10:38 EDT 2009

6/03, Stratford yard/woods-

(1) Common Raven calling while it flew overhead
(1) Willow Flycatcher
(1) Magnolia Warbler (male)

The single Pine Siskin that lingered for a while after the bulk left seems to have left as well.  I have to double-check to be sure, but I believe the last date I saw him was 5/30.

And I still can't help but smile whenever I hear the Hooded warbler singing.  Definately the coolest (in my opinion) bird I've had breed in the woods/powerline cut behind my house.

Saw a mystery dragonfly this morning too.  It had a striking blue/green metalic body, black translucent wings with a white square at the end of each.

Counted 17 praying mantis babies this morning.  I can't get over how fast they grow!

6/02, banding + at CACC at Milford Point-

We had a pair of Orchard Orioles, a Waxwing, a Catbird, and a female Magnolia warbler in addition to common birds.  Up close, the adult male Orchard was gorgeous (thats not to say it isn't from afar!).  Up close you can really see the neat blue marks on either side of it's bill that contrast nicely with the dark coloring of the bill and face/head.  The female showed them also, but more so the whole lower manible than just a mark.  When the female was released, the male immediately followed her... and he wound up back into the net!

Also around were a bunch of Least terns (I love to watch them hover), the Piping plovers, hundreds of peeps, some SB Dowitchers, Black-bellied Plovers, Oystercatchers and a fleeting glimpse of an adult Little Blue Heron across the marsh.  Also some possible White-rumped Sandpipers.... too far out to make a certain ID.

-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com