[CT Birds] sandy point

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Wed Jun 3 12:07:55 EDT 2009

The breeding colonies are quiter than normal for this time of year and numbers are lower. Last week there were several pairs of Least and Common Terns displaying but the last few days have seen them relatively absent.

There has been up to three pairs of Oystercatcher, one pair has been seen copulating and was sitting on what appeared to be a nest, but even Willets don't seem to be on territory???

About a week ago, I watched a flock of 11 skimmers migrate in off the sea and settle on the sandbar in the harbor and then they moved on?  Then yesterday evening there were 4 or 5 off Long Wharf.

The silence is strange. The tern colony is becoming more overgrown each year with vegetation which may be affecting the nesting space?? Maybe some controlled removal of this may help??

This is my patch and the silence is deafening!

Julian