[CT Birds] sandy point

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 3 19:19:35 EDT 2009

I'll add that it's not just at Sandy Point.  The mouth of the Housatonic River (i.e., Milford Point, Short Beach) is also disturbingly quiet of terns.  A handful of Least terns at Milford Point, and virtually no Common Terns to be seen anywhere in the area now.As C. Barnard mentioned recently, he counted some Least Terns at Long Beach, but only about half of the 70+ I counted there a week or so ago.I think one major factor is the exceptionally high tides we had last week.  I would suspect multiple Willet and Clapper Rail nests failed due to the high water as well.
Frank MantlikStratford