[CT Birds] NHBC First Wednesday Walk Report

Kris Johnson krisjohnson99 at snet.net
Wed Jun 3 22:30:58 EDT 2009

We had a good walk at Branford Supply Ponds this morning from 8-11am.  Janet Mehmel lead the walk and Randy Domina assisted.  There were 18 participants and we saw 44 species on this walk. The supply ponds have good varied habitat ranging from the ponds, a small field, woods, and powerline which offer a number of nesting bird species. We had very good looks at Pine Warbler and Blue-winged Warbler and saw many Baltimore Orioles and Cedar Waxwings, and finally saw both the Red eyed Vireo and Great Crested Flycatcher that had been calling as we walked through the woods.  After leaving the woods, back at the lower pond an Eastern Kingbird protected his territory as several Purple Martins were flycatching right on the surface of the water nearby and an Orchard Oriole sang from a tree overhead.  It was a lovely morning and luckily the rainy weather held off until after the end of the walk.
    We will be taking a break from First Wednesday Walks for the summer months. The next NHBC First Wednesday Walk will be on September 2nd at Sandy Point with Gina Nichol and Steve Bird leading the walk.  We hope to see you all there.
Kris Johnson, NHBC First Wednesday Walk, Co-ordinator.