[CT Birds] Long Beach, Stratford

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Thu Jun 4 12:15:13 EDT 2009

There were 9 Red Knots feeding along the beach at high tide this morning,
along with at least 35 Ruddy Turnstones, 50 Semipalmated Sandpipers and 2
Sanderlings. On the marsh side were 5 Semipalmated Plovers, 1 Short-billed
Dowitcher and a single Glossy Ibis. Willets were in abundance on the marsh
side  as well.
There were at least 60 Least Terns behind the string fencing about halfway
out to the cottages.  That is encouraging. However, I spoke with Miley Bull
 this morning and he looked up the tides for later this month and noted
that on  or about June 20 (I have forgotten the exact date)  there is going to
be a  high tide of more than 8'.  From what I observed this morning, I
doubt that the nesting area is high enough to remain above a tide that  high. It
will be a close call.
Charlie Barnard