[CT Birds] dearth of nesters

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 15:20:31 EDT 2009

In addition to the paucity of terns at traditional breeding sites, I have had several conversations lately about the absence of song in the woods and the lack of nesters where they have been in the past.  Is it possible that some of our residents have not returned yet - that migration has been delayed by very poor weather conditions?  We had our first female hummingbird in the yard yesterday - the latest arrival date for a female by several weeks for us.  There are still warblers trickling through.  There was a Yellow Warbler in the school courtyard this morning that must have been a migrant and several Blackpoll Warblers in the woods behind the school.

Glenn Williams