[CT Birds] Quiet Forests

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 4 16:23:50 EDT 2009

While being conscious of the fact that I always caution against making too
much over in-the-moment impressions I have to say it does seem a bit quiet
in the forests. I hiked up Mt Moosilauke in New Hampshire with my friend
Mary this past weekend and while we had many of the species I expected,
several of the species seemed in lower than expected numbers. While
Bicknell's Thrush seemed well represented up high, Swainson's Thrush seemed
more scarce than expected down low. Blackpoll Warblers were very much in
evidence at higher elevations but we heard only 1 Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
on the 7+ mile hike. I usually hear more than that on one of these hikes. A
couple of Boreal Chickadees and a very close encounter with a Black-backed
Woodpecker did make for interesting birding but my overall impression was
the forest was quieter than I expected. And that was particularly true at
lower elevation. Importantly excellent local microbrew was found in adequate

I would welcome comments from those birders who have been doing long term
breeding bird censusing when they have wrapped up this year's runs.