[CT Birds] dearth of nesters

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Thu Jun 4 16:25:17 EDT 2009

 I'd be surprised were suddenly awash in late migrants.? The US Fish
& Wildlife Service Breeding Bird Survey Routes can provide a good
indication concerning breeding birds.? These are 25 mile routes along
the less heavily traveled roads, with a stop every half mile for a total
of 50 stops.? At each stop, an observer listens for three minutes and
records all the birds seen and heard during that time.? Birds observed
on route between the stops are not counted.? We will be doing our route
on Sunday morning, running from Burlington north to Hartland.? If we
find anything out of the ordinary, I will report on it Sunday evening.

There is likely an opportunity for additional participants on these BBS Surveys.? At one time, I think Andrew Dasinger was the statewide coordinator for the BBS.? Patrick - can you confirm.

Jay Kaplan