[CT Birds] data

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Fri Jun 5 11:43:37 EDT 2009

It is a great to see Greg, Chris,?and Dennis's comments. I've been suggesting for years that the birding community find a way to capture all the valuable data being generated by so many people, whether it be on?e-bird or some other database.?Without baseline data, we have no idea whether we're having a "late spring" or not... or whether numbers are truly lower than last year. All we have is anecdotal evidence, which can't really help?save the very things we're impassioned about watching.?Don't forget to include the common species when recording data.?It may be a bit of?chore to count gulls, and cormorants, and crows...?but it's worth it in the long run.?It's tempting just?to put down and?x; we all do it, but what is common now, may not be common?in the future... Look at Red Knots, or even Passenger Pigeons...??Baseline information on common species is as important, if not more important, then for the rarities...? my 2 cents..?Frank Gallo?