[CT Birds] Ruffed Grouse

Milan Bull mbull at ctaudubon.org
Fri Jun 5 12:36:57 EDT 2009

Paul makes a good observation and comment concerning our nearly extirpated ruffed grouse population.  Although the spring drumming counts seem to show the slightest improvement the last year or two, everyone regrets the loss of what was one of our most common forest birds.  I believe the reason that this bird continues to be listed as a game species is that, like the woodcock, studies have indicated that hunting has no impact on grouse abundance.  In fact at least one woodcock study showed that in one area, hunted populations were higher than those that were not hunted.  Although these are the facts, I still think that every grouse we can save would help and I would encourage all bird hunters not to target grouse.

Milan G. Bull

Senior Director of Science and Conservation

Connecticut Audubon Society

2325 Burr St.

Fairfield, CT 06824

(203)259-6305