[CT Birds] grouse and data

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Fri Jun 5 15:51:46 EDT 2009

I think anyone who's birded any amount of time in Connecticut is sorely aware of the diminished Ruffed Grouse population. There seem to me to be a few more reports the last couple years (as noted by Miley Bull), based on postings to CtBirds, but these seem to be almost exclusively from the northwestern part of the state. The species used to be much more wide-ranging.

One thing is worth noting, however. A lot more is probably known overall about game species such as Ruffed Grouse, Woodcock etc than many other species, because game departments make a significant effort to collect data, while many of us birders don't.

Greg Hanisek