[CT Birds] Stratford Long Beach goodies

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 18:38:32 EDT 2009

 From Scott Kruitbosch and Twan Leenders:
06/05/09 - Stratford, Long Beach -- 3 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS.

Twan Leenders and I got drenched for a few hours on Long Beach today. Our
finds were encouraging, especially in light of what has not been seen by our
friends on other beaches lately.

We had a definite count of 11 Piping Plover chicks and a probable count of
10 adults. There were approximately 100 Least Terns, an exceptionally
encouraging number. I don't think I've heard of another count that high this
year. The high tide in a couple weeks that Charlie Barnard and Miley Bull
brought up previously may be a problem, though. Hopefully they'll be able to
nest soon. We saw just 2 Common Terns flying by, but we did have 3 pairs of
Oystercatchers go by as well.

We had the 3 White-rumped Sandpipers somewhat close to the parking lot.
There were very solid numbers of peeps, with all of the usual suspects.
There were a good number of Willets around. A Common Loon was near the first
jetty, too. I hope all of this good news will help to balance out some of
the other tallies.

Maybe, just maybe, if you aren't going out to bird on days like this one,
you should USE EBIRD TO RECORD YOUR SIGHTINGS! It would really help. The
passionate discussion that recently occurred on the list should motivate you
to do something quick, easy, and free to help the birds you love and want to
protect. Greg Hanisek, Patrick Comins, Twan Leenders, Chris Elphick, myself
and others can't all be wrong - can we? We aren't in this case! Seriously,
we need the great numbers many of you produce to be preserved and protected.
Please, at the very least, try eBird out sometime soon.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Connecticut Audubon Society
kbosch at gmail.com