[CT Birds] Recent Tern discussion....

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 6 05:54:10 EDT 2009

Isn't it possible for there to be a lower count for one person at one time of the day and a higher count later for another person?

Just a passing thought, but I would think the colonies leave the area for food or whatever reason sometime during the day.  The only example I have is at Milford Point.  Tuesday there were at least 50 Least terns flying over and around the barrier beaches and Piping plover area in the morning, with more over the marshes. Then I only saw maybe 5 in the early afternoon.

Is it possible the counts are lower due to birds on the nest, where it is hard to see them until you're very close?

This is just an elementary guess.  I haven't been out as often as others, but I actually hadn't noticed any less terns.  At least at Milford Point or the one time I was on the Stratfrod side recently.

-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT