[CT Birds] Scarlet Tanager?

Barbara Garrett barbaragarrett at optonline.net
Mon Jun 8 08:01:00 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm new to all of this and for the past 3 weeks have been hearing a bird who sings virtually all day and moves around in the 90+ foot trees that surround my home.  For the life of me, I cannot spot it with my binocs.  I have been trying to id it by its song, and the closest I can come by using the Cornell site is a scarlet tanager, but the song is not exactly what their web site has.

The question is:  Do these birds have slightly varied calls, meaning that what I'm hearing is a scarlet tanager, but its song is slightly different from the song captured on the Cornell site?

Last 2 weeks' notables here in north Stamford include Cedar Waxwings (4) and baby Siskins (2) flocking and feeding at my feeder along with a newly fledged house finch family.

Thanks and regards,
Barbara Garrett
north Stamford