[CT Birds] Sherwood Island SP sightings

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 8 21:04:34 EDT 2009

       The end of the day is often as peaceful and meditative as the beginning and tonight was no exception.I watched the

Osprey carefully tending to her nest on the Mill Pond for about 15 minutes in hopes that I might see a sign that her family

"had arrived".She seemed to be,ever so carefully, fussing and tidying things up in anticipation of a new life making it's way into the world.Her mate was nearby with a watchful eye.Marsh Wrens were singing from all directions in the marsh as two

Black-crowned Night Herons flew into the cedars across the pond.

       I walked up to the pine grove and found one Brown Thrasher singing on top of a spruce tree and Cedar Waxwings flying in a pastel grayish-blue sky.

       On my way out,I noticed four Glossy Ibis feeding intently near the two small pools and two Eastern Kingbirds sitting

on the posts in the parking lot that looks out over Long Island Sound.

       Yes,things have quieted down.But,it's still great to get out everyday and take in the view!

Tina Green