[CT Birds] Guilford Saltmarsh Sparrows and other birds.

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Jun 11 09:32:24 EDT 2009

I had a chance to go down to our Audubon Guilford Salt Meadows Sanctuary yesterday and since this area isn't birded very much I thought I would give a report and still have to do my eBird entry.

Connover Nature Trail off Clapboard Hill Road:
Orchard Oriole, 5 Yellow-throated Vireos, lots of Willow Flycatchers and Marsh Wrens, several Glossy Ibis.

Lower reaches of the sanctuary (just above I-95), no real public access, but interesting birds:
12+ Saltmarsh Sparrows.  I got to see the flight display for the first time, which I understand is confirmation of copulation in this species.  1 Seaside Sparrow, lots of Marsh Wrens and more Glossy Ibis.

Saltmarsh Sparrows are likely the species in CT with the highest chance for global extinction in the mid-term, so it is an important species to keep tabs on.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Connecticut
pcomins at audubon.org