[CT Birds] Rain, Rain Burrr, Rain

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sun Jun 14 07:56:30 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

I woke up to another day of rain, a particularly heavy down pour to
be exact.

Then it occurred to me, might the failure of the terns be simply due
to the weather?

So I did a little looking

There is a measure of temperature called degrees of heating. It is
related to departure from normal. The larger the number the colder it
is. In the winter it is from 30 to 50 Usually by the end of June  it
is zero and goes into degrees of cooling.
For Bridgeport the normal cumulative degrees of heating (Jun 1 to 13)
is 18. This year it is 37

Getting information was more problematical
In New York City The five rainiest Junes ranged fro 7 inches to 10
inches. the driest Junes ranged from 0.1 inch to 1.3 inches.
The first 13 days of June this year is 4.8 inches. So, if things
don't change this will be one of the wettest on record.

At Sikorsky airport from May 25 to June 13, 19 days (when Least Tern
eggs should be laid and the earliest young hatched)  we had 11 days
of rain. totaling  3.5 inches.

So, yes this is a cold rainy spring

Dennis Varza