[CT Birds] Trying again - Summer Bird Count

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Mon Jun 15 08:17:38 EDT 2009

Trying again - computer changed the formatting without my knowing.  Sorry about that!

The Greenwich/Stamford Summer Bird Count was held this past weekend.
My area covered all of Old Greenwich, Riverside and part of Stamford.
Just to make the count more interesting/challenging, there was sun, rain, fog -
with  the cooler, wetter spring, and abnormally higher spring tides possibly
affecting breeding activity.  There was also a notable lack and low numbers of
some species e.g. Veery, Common Yellowthroats, Vireos, Phoebes, Orchard
Orioles, gulls, and terns.

>From Meredith Sampson w/ Cynthia Ehlinger & Annette Cunniffe:
6/13 - Old Greenwich, Greenwich Point -- 1 GREATER SCAUP, 3 LONG-TAILED DUCKS,
6/14 - Old Greenwich, Greenwich Point -- 1 RED KNOT.

Also seen/heard in our area:
Cedar Waxwings - many
Scarlet Tanager
Common Loon
Brant - 41
Laughing Gulls - 7
American Oystercatchers - 4
Spotted Sandpiper
Northern Rough-wing Swallows - very good numbers
Cliff Swallows - 4 (a decline from previous years)
Fish Crow - 3
Eastern Kingbird
Greater-crested Flycatcher - 5
Willow Flycatcher - 2
Purple Martin - 16 with 30 eggs
Black-bellied Plover - 1 during count period
Pine Siskins - 6
Chimney Swifts - 25

Overall, an interesting, a bit odd bird count.

Meredith Sampson
Old Greenwich
Always a good call. Click now to establish your local phone service!