[CT Birds] Nesting Least Terns

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Jun 16 16:28:18 EDT 2009

Since this seems to be a subject of concern this year, I will  mention that
on my Trip to Hammonassett last Saturday I saw a very large number  of
Least Terns, and counted at least 17 that I believe were on nests.  I  saw the
nesting birds from the new platform east? of Willards Island, looking  over
the marsh with my scope towards the end of the Moraine Trail.   There is a
sandy strip that has 2 sides to it.  From the end of the Moraine  Trail, if
you look to the left perhaps 150 yards there is a relatively steeply  sloping
sand beach.  There were many terns, along with a pair of American
Oystercatchers, all over that beach, but I didn't see any nesting from that  view,
although I didn't look very hard for them.  However, there is a ridge  at the
top of that  beach with a little vegetation on it and it was on the  sandy
back side of that ridge that I saw the nests.  At the time I  estimated (on
Ebird) that I had seen 35 L. Terns, but I think that was a  very conservative
number.   I don't know if this is a  habitual nesting place for L.Terns,
and I didn't think much of it at the time,  but I hope the information is of
some help.
Don Morgan
Coventry
Steps!