[CT Birds] unusual predator

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Wed Jun 17 15:47:37 EDT 2009

I received the follow e-mail message today from a reader of my newspaper columns, Ed Doyle of Litchfield:

Hi Greg,

 We had something happen this morning which I thought was unusual.

 We have a pair of Bluebirds who have been raising their brood in a birdhouse that we can view out of our kitchen window . As we were eating breakfast and watching the male and female come and go a Red Bellied Woodpecker swooped down stuck his head in the birdhouse and came out with a chick which he proceeded to eat in plain view. I didn't know that woodpeckers did this type of deed.

Ed