[CT Birds] This and that in Mansfield Center

Jo-Anne Roberts jmrcnslt at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 19 11:25:21 EDT 2009

My thistle is only being eaten by Goldfinches. Sometimes as many as 10-12. I
agree that the black capped chickadees and the tufted titmice have taken a
break. Are they relying on bugs to feed their young? Yesterday I noted 1
chickadee (vs. 25+) and 2 titmice.

I did have a chipmunk raiding one of my feeders. I think I've solved that.
He's stored enough BOS to last the entire winter! I just opened one of the
50# bags I purchased while in PA this spring. Nice seed...it was worth the
drive and the reduced price per pound.

Yesterday and today has brought an influx of hairy and downy woodpeckers.
I've had at least 6 on 2 suet feeders with several more on the wing waiting
their turn. Adults feeding their fledglings. Occasionally the red bellied
flies through and they seem to wait their turn. I might have to put up
another for the red bellied fledglings when they start coming by.

I've also seen more Rose Breasted Grosbeaks fledglings than I have in past
years. They seemed to have stayed around this summer.

I have a pair of Carolina wrens nesting nearby and 2 pair of house wrens;
one in a box the other in my fuchsia hanger

I'm still perplexed about the hummingbird feeder that is being sucked dry
during the night. Several suggested flying squirrel. Others raccoons. Since
the feeder is not being pulled down/tipped over, I vote for the squirrel.
Just haven't been able to stay awake to watch for it. But getting up at 4 in
the morning to refill the dang thing before the birds arrives is wearing
thin on me. Especially since I'm off from work for a couple of days!

My neighbor's wren house (with fledglings) was ransacked by something
yesterday. The fledglings were pulled out of the house, one left hanging out
of it, dead. The adults continued to go in an out of it last night. Will the
female lay more eggs in the same nest?

Jo-Anne
Mansfield Center