[CT Birds] Hammo sightings, thistle

Fritz and Sheila fritzandsheila at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 17:57:33 EDT 2009

At Hammo this afternoon, one CATTLE EGRET was seen foraging in the grassy ditch around the east side of the West Beach parking lot.
The immature KING EIDER was on the rocks offshore east of the end of the MoraineTrail hanging with a pair of surf scoters, oystercatcher, cormorants, great egret and the usual gulls and terns (many least terns fishing there and at the pond by the Moraine Trail parking).  Seaside and saltmarsh sharp-tailed sparrows plentiful there as well, and heard a clapper rail.

We too have had very little thistle seed eaten in the past six months, even after changing it.  The goldfinches seem to prefer the b. o. sunflower.  The chickadees eat a little of it, but only the pine siskins ate some regularly, when they were around.  Our biggest issue this year is a plague of grackles who hog everything.

Harold Moritz
Sheila Gleason
fritzandsheila at pobox.com