[CT Birds] Stratford Beaches

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Fri Jun 19 18:40:12 EDT 2009

Hi Folks,

Reading all about those rare birds has caused me to exaggerate my
expectations of rarities. "Im gonna git me some"

Stratford, Long Beach 2:40
Bonaparte's Gull 1, Laughing Gull 7, Herring Gull 420, Great Black-
backed Gull 3
260 of the Herring Gulls were in a feeding flock off shore.

Stratford, Sea Wall 3:00
Laughing Gull 2, Ring-billed Gull 2, Herring Gull 300, Great Black-
backed Gull 1
The Herring Gulls here were also in a feeding flock

Stratford Short Beach 3:20 to 4:15 low tide rising
Double-crested Cormorant	22
Great Egret	11
Snowy Egret	7
American Oystercatcher	4
Laughing Gull	68
Ring-billed Gull	165
Herring Gull	400
Great Black-backed Gull	5
Black Skimmer	2

Most of the gull were hanging out on the mud flats.

At the airport, the east end runway was flooded  but the only thing
there was a Dunlin.

Dennis Varza