[CT Birds] Orange backyard

Katz1449 at aol.com Katz1449 at aol.com
Fri Jun 19 22:55:11 EDT 2009

>From Bev Propen  6/19  Orange
My backyard feeders have had an invasion of common  grackles this year
too-5 adults and 2 juveniles; and 4 juvenile starlings  with 3 adults.  House
finches include 2 adult pairs with 6 juveniles, and  about 6 juvenile house
sparrows   :(    One pair of  goldfinches show up at the nyger feeder.
Also 1 juvenile Red bellied woodpecker with 2 adults;  2  adult downies
with 1 juvenile downy.  We have a pair of titmice, and 1 pair  of chickadees
but I haven't noticed any juveniles there yet.  6 Mourning  doves and 1 pair
seem to setting up a nest in our blue spruce. Mr. & Mrs.  Cardinal with no
chicks, and 5 blue jays.  1 Pair of catbirds eat our suet  too with an unusual
technique-they hop from the flat squirrel baffle and  bang at the suet cage
and catch what falls out.  The mockingbird has  adopted this technique as
well. One white breasted nuthatch makes many  trips back and forth, so he may
have a family to feed.  It makes for an  entertaining morning cup of coffee
watching out the  window.