[CT Birds] House Sparrow question.....

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 20 08:47:39 EDT 2009

Is there a such thing as bird food House sparrows DON'T like?  I live in condos (unfortunately very poorly made) that have openings in the clapboard around just about every gutter.  And as a result, I've already counted 18 nests.
This morning I just noticed that their 2nd brood has fledged, and now I am onver run with House sparrows.  They are moving in flocks like blackbirds, 20, 30, 40 at a time, and completely emptying feeders in what seems like minutes.
Once the regular stuff is gone (S&S Classic blend.... pretty cheap), they move to the BOSS.  Once that is gone, they move to the thistle feeder with wild finch blend in it.  Once the finch blend is gone, they move to the suet.
I am not the type to dismantle nests, regardless if I hate them.  Which I do.
Any ideas?  Or am I just going to have to pony up more dough so that the Chippers, Catbirds, Grosbeaks, Gold and House finches, Nuthatches, woodpeckers, Blue Jays and Wrens can get their fill?
Right now almost all visitors are either bringing fledglings, or bee-lining it right back to the nest with a stuffed face.  Obviously these species have been around much longer than people have been feeding them at feeders, so they can find food.  I just enjoy watching Downy's chirp at their moms and the fluffy catbirds examining their parents every moves, then repeating.  I don't want them to come to the yard to find empty feeders due to over active nuisances.
-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com