[CT Birds] The Obsessive Road Runner Does Some Birding

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 20 13:12:22 EDT 2009

I just came back from the Derby Dash 5K (Black-crowned Night Heron, Black Vulture, No. RW Swallow, Warbling Vireo, etc) and I started thinking about Luke Tiller's challenge from several months ago.  He suggested ticking birds seen only while walking/biking, ie, birding while not assisted by auto transportation.  I'm considering modifying that a bit and generating a road-race list.  After all, I probably have a pretty good list going, including Osprey at Hammo, Calf Pasture Beach and Niantic (Feed the Need 5K, Norwalk Mother's Day 10K, Niantic Bay 10K), Redstarts and Yellow Warblers (Bluff Point Twilight Run), Bobolink and Bluebirds at Fairfield Hills (Newtown Rocking Rooster 5K), YB Sapsucker, Veery, Scarlet Tanager and BT Green Warbler on Bissell Road (Litchfield Hills).
Since I'm not pacing with the Kenyans, focused on all that prize money or looking good for the Sports Page photographers, I've plenty of time to do some birding.  Hmm, maybe I can pick up Monk Parakeet at Branford Road Race tomorrow?  And I'm thinking my best bet for Barred Owl is the woods in Hebron (Airline Trail 1/2 marathon)...
Steve Mayo