[CT Birds] (no subject)

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Jun 21 12:19:49 EDT 2009

--- On Sun, 6/21/09, Carrier Graphics <carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I must say Brian, I find it confusing that you are making a
> study on a bird that is not a natural indigenous bird to our
> State.....

I assume you are talking about Northern Bobwhite.

In Connecticut Birds Zeranski and Baptist said:

Historical Notes: This species was "abundant" during the early
1800s, especially along the coast, after the Southern New England
forests were cleared for agriculture (Forbush 1916; Hill 1965).

Bent's Life Histories includes Connecticut when it gives the northern limit of Northern Bobwhite's range (in part) as "southern Ontario (Mount Forest, Listowel, Toronto, and Port Hope) ; Vermont (Londonderry); and Maine (West Gardiner)", and begins the eastern limit with "East to Maine (West Gardiner and West Fryeburg); rarely eastern New Hampshire (Hampton); Massachusetts (Gloucester, Boston, and Cape Cod); Rhode Island (Newport); New York (Shelter Island and Roslyn); New Jersey (Red Bank, Vineland, and Sea Isle City);...".

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT