[CT Birds] Current arctic weather, and recent sightings

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 17:13:21 EDT 2009

CTBirders,

I saw this link posted on another listserv. If shorebird breeding does
indeed fail rather than just being delayed, we should expect an
earlier-than-usual southbound shorebird migration. An early peak of adults
would be followed by fewer juveniles later in the season.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/westview/big-chill-in-churchill-47992231.html

I birded Sandy Pt on Friday (low tide) and Milford Pt briefly today (just
after high tide). Nothing notable from either visit. Sandy Pt's tern colony
was still vacant; 8 Common Terns were feeding in the harbor and then came in
to roost on the flats, but there was no activity over the colony itself. One
of the birds was in its second-summer. At Milford Pt I had a single Least
Tern over the colony and a handful of Common Terns feeding well offshore.
There has been lots of bluefish/bunker activity at the mouth of the river
recently. No migrant shorebirds at either location (as expected since we're
currently between the northbound and southbound migrations).

Nick Bonomo
Orange, CT