[CT Birds] aggressive juvenile starlings

Katz1449 at aol.com Katz1449 at aol.com
Sun Jun 21 18:03:26 EDT 2009

>From Bev Propen  6/21  Orange
I am amazed at how aggressive and assertive the juvenile  starlings are at
my feeders-particularly the suet feeder.  There are now  about 6 juvenile
starlings , coming & going at the feeders.  One seems  to stand guard on top
of the pole from which two  of my feeders (one suet)  hang.  It may sit there
for 10 minutes at a time, then hops onto the suet  cage to eat.  If another
bird, even an adult grackle or blue jay comes to  the suet, it pecks at it
and flaps its wings, chasing the other bird off.   The only one which seems
to hold its own against the juvenile starlings are  the red bellied
woodpeckers.  The red bellies will hold  on to the suet cage and peck right back at
the juvenile starling until the  starling finally leaves.