[CT Birds] Thanks x2 and a question...

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 22 08:03:41 EDT 2009

Thanks to those hwho replied about the Cattle egret. Everyone who said they've seen it said it was at least after 2pm. I was gone by 8:30am.

I'll have to do a mid-day through dusk trip.

And also thanks for the House sparrow question responses. Luckily I don't really get grackles outside the winter (thousands then, but none now). They seem to stay near the river (Housatonic). But I will certainly be cutting down, or off of mixed seeds. Safflower it is.

Now for another question:

Is there a suck thing as a Red-headed woodpecker in Connecticut? Where one could see it? I've struck out at Lighthouse Point, where (from somewhere) I've heard they live. I could've swore I saw one at Boothe Park while driving by the other day.... complete black body and total read head. Although perhaps 35mph+ and broken glasses equals a smudged Red-belly.

(I don't know if anyone has seen the 'Classic Blend' seed by Stop and Shop.... but on the back they have a little quiz for kids to put the species name with the picure. It claims to be from Cornell. They have a Red-bellied labeled as Red-headed. Bothers me everytime.)

(Man that is a shame about the Painted Bunting. I'm almost inclined to stand on a public street corner in the area and just look.)

-Brian Webster-
STratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com