[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club field trips

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Mon Jun 22 14:23:17 EDT 2009

Please note that the New Haven Bird Club has one field trip scheduled
in July:

Saturday, July 11, 7:00 AM:  Station 43 and Great Pond State Forest.
Free and open to the public.
We’ll go to two excellent birding locations in the CT central
valley.  First stop will be station 43, along the CT river in South
Windsor.  Birds of interest at this wetlands and open field habitat
include Least Bittern, Sora, Virginia Rail, Bobolink, and Eastern
Meadowlark.  We’ll break for lunch, then go to Great Pond Forest in
Simsbury: possible pond and woodland species include Green Heron,
Wood Duck, Black-throated Green and Blue Warblers, and Yellow-
throated Vireo.  If we’re lucky, the Mississippi Kites that nested
near there last year will have returned.  Meet at the commuter lot at
7:00 AM on Route 68 in Wallingford, west of I-91 at Exit 15.
Leader— Chris Loscalzo: 203.389.6508,  closcalz at optonline.net

Also note there is still one remaining June field trip coming up this

McLean Game Refuge, Granby.  Saturday, June 27, 2009, 7:30 AM
Don’t miss a chance to visit one of Hartford County’s most beautiful
birding locations. The Refuge consists of more than 4,200 acres of
hardwood forest, conifer stands, streams, and wetlands. Birders can
expect to find species such as Pileated Woodpecker, Blue-headed
Vireo, Winter Wren, Hermit Thrush, and Blackburnian Warbler. This
trip is a joint walk with our friends in the Hartford Audubon
Society, as part of their centennial celebration. Meet in the parking
lot at the Rt. 10 Refuge entrance. Call the Hartford Audubon trip
leader for more details.
Leader—Paul Cianfaglione:  860.836.3443.     NHBC Contact— Chris
Loscalzo: 203.389.6508,  closcalz at optonline.net

Larry Bausher, Publicity Director