[CT Birds] Flycatcher - Nope

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Mon Jun 22 15:34:57 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Gave the Orchard at TBV a decent bash today but came up empty. Part of the problem there is that a large part of the open country area is not accessible to the public as it is a small farm. There are also open country areas nearby and a golf course adjacent to the Orchard. Possible the bird is still in the area or of course that it is somewhere many many miles away now. It's a bit of a needle and haystack situation though for just a couple of birders to cover - although you'd think a Scissortail if there would be quite obvious if it's actively hunting. Anyway I've always fancied the site as a place to find vagrant flycatchers (a few years back Charlie and I had Mississipi Kite there) but looks like we might have been a day late today. A site which probably deserves more coverage than it gets - I think the hike in puts a few people off though. I would't bet against it still being in the area though just because we didn't have any joy today. Out of interest does anyone know if it is a nocturnal or diurnal migrant? The weather sure hasn't been good for a big flight I wouldn't have thought since Sunday? The site is on my google 'Fairfield County Birding Map' which can be accessed from my blogs links (on the right hand side of the home page).

Luke Tiller
www.underclearskies.com