[CT Birds] Trout Brook Orchard-Directions

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Mon Jun 22 16:43:21 EDT 2009

Hi All,

The orchards at Trout Brook Valley are accessed via the Elm Drive trail head off of Freeborn Rd, not the Bradley Road Trailhead, unless you want to walk and extra mile or so.. . If you come north on RT-58 you'll pass RT-136. just after you cross it, still heading north on 58, look for Norton Rd on the left. Take Norton north until it T's on Freeborn. Turn left and take the next right onto Elm Drive.? Go to the end and park in the traffic circle (do not obstruct driveways).? If you, by chance, you?miss Norton,?you can turn left onto Freeborn from RT?58 just after you pass Center Rd on the right.

At the circle, look north, and you'll see the trail head in front?of you.?There should be maps in a box there, but it would be better to go on line?to Aspetuck Valley Land Trust and down load their map. Join, they're a great group and can use the money.?

To reach the orchard, you have to walk into the main trail and go right.. I'm at work so I don't have a map handy to?tell you the trail color... I believe Blue and Yellow, both go that way, but I'm not?sure which is at the trailhead... so check their map. ?It's probably a good 15-20 minute walk. When you get close to the orchard you need to go right, up the hill to the open fields.. there is a big fenced in blueberry patch, as well.?

Trout Brook will be in my Bird Finding Guide to CT and Coastal RI due out next spring...?? Good luck....

Frank Gallo