[CT Birds] Ruffed grouse

Fritz and Sheila fritzandsheila at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 11:08:44 EDT 2009

We have also noticed the decline.  About 15 years ago, we'd see them often while birding in the state forests.  There were so many, I have two mounted here at home, one was a road kill, the other apparently hit my garage (it was dead in the lawn up againts the wal) about 12 years ago here in East Haddam (where we are surrounded by forest).  Now the only place we have heard them drumming was in Sharon last May while birding in the State Forest there.  All these places seem to be fairly mature forests already, so that doesnt seem to fit the reason for decline given by DEP.  In the meantime the turkey population has greatly increased....
Harold Moritz
Sheila Gleason
fritzandsheila at pobox.com