[CT Birds] hunting Grouse - you agree?

jbserena at comcast.net jbserena at comcast.net
Tue Jun 23 13:42:51 EDT 2009

Hi Paul,

Without taking a position regarding grouse hunting in the state, I think you're making an assumption about population dynamics that is often inaccurate. If you take an individual bird out of a population by hunting (or any predation), it doesn't necessarily mean that there will be one less bird in the population on an on-going basis. If habitat availability already restricts the population to a level below the reproduction rate of the bird, shooting a bird doesn't matter. It simply opens up a bit of habitat to be occupied by another individual. I'm oversimplifying here, but I'm guessing this is the basic argument being made by DEP with regard to the ruffed grouse.

Kind regards,