[CT Birds] Lyman Orchards

weatherwizard at comcast.net weatherwizard at comcast.net
Tue Jun 23 13:57:16 EDT 2009

Last year my wife and I went to Lyman Orchard in Middlefield,CT to pick blueberries. I was sad to see they have protective netting over the blueberry bushes, that trapped and killed at least 15 Orchard Orioles that I counted while there, lying dead twisted within the netting. I do understand they need to protect their interests, but there must be a more suitable means? I contacted DEP about this last fall, but I was reading on their website, they are getting ready to put the protective netting up again. It appears the DEP did nothing. Can we as a group put pressure on them to at least try to find a solution so everyone is happy?