[CT Birds] the hunting of RUFFED GROUSE

Craig Repasz crepasz at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:38:08 EDT 2009

Lets not overlook what duck hunters have done for the conservation and restoration of habitat though thier organizations like Ducks Unlimited or through the purchase of duck stamps. Its the habitat first and for most.

This past weekend I was driving through the Baker Valley of New Hampshire. In a 15 min time period I saw three ruffed grouse. The habitat in the area was abundant.

In Connecticut a moritorium on hunting will not work unless there is also habitat restoration. Hunters and birders can team together on this one. Anglers do not complain about bag and size limits when they know these regulations are put in place to maintain fish population and thier pastime.

That being said, if habitat patches are being diminished, cut up and fragmented the survival rate of the grouse will decrease due to predation and nest predation from animals allowed easier access into the interior of the habitat patches. Include human hunters in this statment. Population dynamics is basic..reproduction rate + migration in - migration out- death rate = population.

We need to stop paving the state and erecting McMansion. I think hunters would agree with us.