[CT Birds] Enough about the Ruffed Grouse and hunting

Christopher Lovell ctlovell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 19:14:26 EDT 2009

What is happening to this list? The growth of activism, bordering on
extremism, is a little disturbing.  Boycotting Lyman Orchards blueberries? A
letter writing campaign to Cabela¹s?  The vilification of upland bird
hunters and hunters in general?  I fear that these types of campaigns may do
more harm than good to the reputation of the birding community in
Connecticut.  We have to remember that we cannot change the world,
especially overnight.  We need to be very careful how we present ourselves
to the non-birding public lest we become just another group of
³tree-huggers² to be laughed at.  We can try to educate and share our ideas
and values, but need to be gentle about it.   Remember, this is a public
list and is read by more than just a few people, many of whom may have
differing opinions.

Chris Lovell