[CT Birds] more on saltmarsh sparrows

elphick at sbcglobal.net elphick at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 23 19:52:52 EDT 2009

Another saltmarsh sparrow addendum.  I just got this note from one of the grad students in my lab:

"We've lost almost all of our nests between the middle of last week and today..."

The new moon spring tides, elevated by heavy rain, appear to have flooded out most of our active saltmarsh sparrow nests.  So, of the 100 or so nests found so far this year, we have one that is still active.  From a birding perspective, this means that males are likely to be singing and displaying a lot in the next few days, as they seek the attention of renesting females.  Flight displays are rarely seen in saltmarsh sparrows, and singing is pretty rare (and very quiet) too.  This week would be a good time to try to see these behaviours.

Meanwhile, let's hope that the next set of spring tides are not so high.

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net