[CT Birds] Stratford CASPIAN TERN, etc.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 23 21:28:13 EDT 2009

>From Frank MantlikStratford, Short Beach Park / Housatonic River mouth, 5-5:50 pm (low tide) - 1 adult CASPIAN TERN, 38 COMMON TERNS, 2 BLACK SKIMMERS, 2 LONG-TAILED DUCKS, 600+ gulls including 30+ LAUGHING GULLS.
The most Common Terns I've seen in sw CT all year, many were catching small thin baitfish.  I first spotted the Caspian flying/foraging over the river mouth 5-5:10.  It then flew west past Stratford Point and out of sight.  But it reappeared 5:30 when it flew in and landed on the furthest out (south) sandbar with a large number of gulls and egrets.  I got some digiscope pix of it and the skimmers.  It was still there when I left at 5:50.  A scope is necessary. This town beach charges $5 per non-resident car ($10 on weekends).
Also, I was among the many birders who searched for the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in vain today at the orchard area of the Aspetuck Land Trust/Trout Brook Valley off Norton Rd.