[CT Birds] Nonbirding tale

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 26 05:55:42 EDT 2009

As I just found out, and was then told, Box, painted and snapping turtles are nesting now.  (found two ravaged turtle nests yesterday).

I think I see more snappers this time of the year crossing roads (Roosevelt!!) than in ponds/swamps/wherever.  They cross roads to lay their eggs away from the body of water in the dirt/banks.  I've always wondered why mother turtles force their babies to walk the gauntlet before enjoying life....  good early life lesson I suppose.

I'm am certainly no expert, but that seems to be a logical answer.

-Brian Webster-