[CT Birds] Nonbirding tale

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Fri Jun 26 07:11:24 EDT 2009

June is the prime time when turtles are on the move to find spots to lay their eggs in.
Why they travel so far, who knows?  They could be following some ancestral pathways
that existed long before roads and houses.

If you see a turtle in the road, and it's safe for you to do so, move the turtle to the side of
the road it was headed toward.  Snapping turtles can be picked up behind the midway
point, near the rear of their shell - their heads don't reach that far.  Never pick up turtles
by their tails.

The distance they travel from their home base can be amazing.  Which leads me to
wonder, why do Mallards nest far from water, then lead their newly-hatched young
on a long trek that's fraught with hazards like roads, storm drains, leaping off tall
buildings?

Meredith Sampson
Old Greenwich