[CT Birds] FW: eBird Report - Shelton Lake/Nell's Rock Trails , 6/25/09, and some insect help.....

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 26 08:54:07 EDT 2009

6/25 (wow... already??)

I can't thank Chris Nevins enough for turning me onto this location.... just 10 minutes from my house.  In addition to all the birds, there were a lot of red efts crossing the trails, a few snappers mating in the water (either mating or fighting!), and one rock covered with 6 painted turtles.  Red-backed salamanders were under a few rocks, and a saw the tail end of a Northern watersnake scooting back into the water.  I actually saw one of the snappers (at least 4 in the pond at that time) lunge up at one of the bank swallows hawking just above the water!  I also got a great look (and photos) of a young buck with his maybe 5" velvety antlers (link to photo below).

http://picasaweb.google.com/MOJOrisin16/Mammals#5351616526488795874

For anyone interested in this location (Shelton Lakes/Nell's Rock trails), it is quite easy to get to.  Get to Bridgeport ave whichever way one pleases, and go down past Walmart and Wendy's.  Take a left AFTER Crabtree auto onto Nell's Rock Rd (before Webster Bank) and follow the winding road up past a few condo complexes until you reach one of 3 parking lots.  One is on the left, just past L'Hermitage condos, and there are two more on either side of the pond if you drive further down.  Several trails intertwine through varied habitats.... swamp, inland wetlands, pine groves (tons of pine warblers there), wide and long powerline cuts, laural and rhodedendron areas, mixed deciduous, etc..... There is even a fenced in (for deer) garden that is dedicated to CT's native plant species.

A great place to spend a few hours wandering.  Although I did get quite lost trying to find a hidden lake (great spot for flycatchers... had all in that area).

I was also hoping that one of the buttefly/dragonfly experts could shed some light on some un-identified butteflies/dragonflies. Links to Picasa pages below list.

And does anyone know what kind of bug a small, bright red arachnid is?  It is about the size of an un-filled wood tick, but the brightest red you can imagine.  Often on trees, but sometimes on the trails.  I checked it very closely and it definately had 8 legs.  Interesting.

> Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:28:35 -0400
> From: do-not-reply at ebird.org
> To: b.webster at hotmail.com
> Subject: eBird Report - Shelton Lake/Nell's Rock Trails , 6/25/09
>

> Location: Shelton Lake/Nell's Rock Trails
> Observation date: 6/25/09
> Notes: Blue-wing numbers include fledglings, Indigos were 2 pairs, Nuthatch numbers throughout parcel. Nice breeding populations of Pine/Blue-wing/Prairie/Yellow and Redstarts, Towhees and Indigos. Cormorants fly-overs.
> Number of species: 62
>
> Canada Goose 3
> Mallard 2
> Wild Turkey 2
> Double-crested Cormorant 3
> Great Blue Heron 1
> Green Heron 1
> Turkey Vulture 2
> Red-shouldered Hawk 1
> gull sp. 1
> Mourning Dove 6
> Chimney Swift 2
> Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1 (in a different spot, Chris)
> Belted Kingfisher 1
> Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
> Downy Woodpecker 2
> Hairy Woodpecker 2
> Northern Flicker 1
> Eastern Wood-Pewee 3
> Least Flycatcher 2
> Eastern Phoebe 3
> Great Crested Flycatcher 1
> Eastern Kingbird 4
> Yellow-throated Vireo 1
> Red-eyed Vireo 3
> Blue Jay 4
> American Crow 1
> Common Raven 1
> Tree Swallow 8
> Bank Swallow 4
> Barn Swallow 2
> swallow sp. 1
> Black-capped Chickadee X
> Tufted Titmouse X
> White-breasted Nuthatch 10
> House Wren 2
> Wood Thrush 3
> American Robin X
> Gray Catbird 8
> Northern Mockingbird 1
> European Starling X
> Cedar Waxwing 7
> Blue-winged Warbler 9
> Yellow Warbler 3
> Pine Warbler 5
> Prairie Warbler 6
> Black-and-white Warbler 1
> American Redstart 4
> Ovenbird 3
> Common Yellowthroat 6
> Scarlet Tanager 1
> Eastern Towhee 5
> Chipping Sparrow 2
> Song Sparrow 2
> Northern Cardinal 2
> Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1
> Indigo Bunting 4
> Red-winged Blackbird 7
> Common Grackle 5
> Brown-headed Cowbird 1
> Baltimore Oriole 2
> House Finch 2
> American Goldfinch X
>
> This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)

Here are some links to a few insects that I am not sure of, or have no clue of.  Any feedback on these would be great because I'm trying to learn our local buggies.

>From Shelton Lakes yesterday...

http://picasaweb.google.com/MOJOrisin16/ButterfliesAndOtherInsects#5351609598314480306

http://picasaweb.google.com/MOJOrisin16/ButterfliesAndOtherInsects#5351609336220477842

http://picasaweb.google.com/MOJOrisin16/ButterfliesAndOtherInsects#5351608739382942898

http://picasaweb.google.com/MOJOrisin16/ButterfliesAndOtherInsects#5351617210683899170

Very tough to find in photo.... dead center, with yellow and black bands?

http://picasaweb.google.com/MOJOrisin16/ButterfliesAndOtherInsects#5351618369459673074

>From a while back....

http://picasaweb.google.com/MOJOrisin16/ButterfliesAndOtherInsects#5318555025370653650

Thanks for any help.