[CT Birds] King Eider

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Fri Jun 26 12:07:38 EDT 2009

Greg did a nice job summarizing the King Eider moult query and the link was one of the better ones I've seen on providing info on this topic.

To add, while some second-alternate King Eider males can look blotchy around the head etc, some can be essentially identical to third-alternate (full adult) males in plumage. One feature, (I read in an old issue of British Birds) that can be indicative of this age class is a thin black line up the back of the nape, something visible on Plate 13 but not mentioned i don't think in the text.

Julian