[CT Birds] Nell's Rock

james.bair at snet.net james.bair at snet.net
Fri Jun 26 14:57:31 EDT 2009

Dear Brian:

You wrote:

And does anyone know what kind of bug a small, bright red arachnid is?  It is about the size of an un-filled wood tick, but the brightest red you can imagine.  Often on trees, but sometimes on the trails.  I checked it very closely and it definately had 8 legs.  Interesting.

This sounds like a chigger. That's what we always called them when I was a kid. Some chiggers out West bite and carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, but I think the ones in the East are pretty harmless though they can bite. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chigger , but I think they have six legs. There is also the Red Spider Mite--if you are sure it had 8 legs, it could be that. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_spider_mite .

Jim Bair