[CT Birds] Roseate Terns Harkness Memorial Park Waterford

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 27 22:24:46 EDT 2009

>From Dave and Janet Provencher:

6/27/09 - Waterford, Harkness Memorial Park - 3 Roseate Terns, 8 Common
Terns, 1 American Oystercatcher (flyby). Low tide 7:30pm.

This has to be one of the best places to see Roseate Terns from the shore in
eastern CT. For years they have been coming and feeding right at the beach
at the west end of the park. My daughter Janet and I were able to watch them
plungeing within 30 feet of us. I've seen them doing this here for years,
before Janet was even born (she's 11). The tide was quite low this evening.
If you'll allow me to opine I should say that I have always found these
elegant terns most endearing.