[CT Birds] Truman's Meadow, Coventry, 6-29-09

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Jun 29 22:20:13 EDT 2009

I stopped at Truman's Meadow in Coventry this afternoon and found that the
field is full of Bobolinks. I saw no sign of Meadowlarks, however. For a
few  minutes I had 12 males and 1 female teed up in front of me in the grass.
I saw  quite a few pale yellow looking birds flying around, and at first
thought they  might have been fledglings, but finally decided they were
females. There was  just 1 female that consistently teed up for me. I looked up to
see 2 large birds  circling at the opposite end of the field that turned out
to be Black Vultures,  with no accompanying TV's. Not a common sight and
the first BLVU I have seen in  Coventry, I think. There was a lot of activity
up until 4 pm, after which it  seemed to go quiet. Pictures at this link:
Don Morgan